Sunday, February 25, 2007

Diary of a broken elbow - part two

So, I woke up for the first time in a hospital the following morning. I still had my IV drip, but they changed it to one with sugar and other vitamins (you know, to fill me up as I can't eat). I was waiting on an emergency surgery wait list for my elbow. I got told in the morning I was going to have a CT scan at some point and if there was an OR room available, then I would get surgery. Diane and Ana from work came to visit me in the morning, thank god! I was totally bored, however, I had a window and was on the 10th foor, nice view! Thankfully it was sunny, however, made my room awefully warm. First time getting up and peeing wasn't that nice either. I was pretty dizzy from no food (well, I did have that yummy IV drip, that sure was filling).

In the afternoon they moved me to the 8th floor where the orthopedic ward was. Just before I went downstairs I got a huge orchid arrangement from the building managers of the building I fell in (just about every single nurse asked if the card said "Please don't sue us") and I got a nice fruit basket from work (however, it was also sort of mean considering I couldn't eat!). Probably about 5pm one of my coworkers came for a visit and then my friend Zamina came after work. She was there for about 20 minutes while I was snoring away, of course, she hates hospitals and was near fainting whenever she heard anything. We had to call Jan again, she didn't realize that I was in the hospital and waiting for surgery. Then we got into trouble because they were there until close to 10pm with me (visiting hours are over at 8pm).

The next morning I wake up, lots of pain, and I'm also feeling sort of sick so they hooked up a gravel drip for me. Yummy. At least it worked. I found out that I was finally going to have surgery (at this point I haven't eaten since midnight on Wednesday and this was Friday morning). I get taken for pre-op at 10am. I'm very scared. I've never had surgery before and had no idea what to expect. While I'm waiting in pre-op, I had three different people come ask me questions, the same questions. All I wanted was to be left alone to cry before surgery and everyone's asking me the same questions.

I finally get taken into the OR room about 1050am. I was actually quite interested to be in there (so that distracted me from my fear for a bit). I was a bit shocked to see a crucifix, and since everything was white, it really stood out. I was given some gas, told to count down and that's the last thing I remember before waking up in post-op.

No comments:

Free counter and web stats